Memories...

Just for Memories...reflections of the past...and maybe a little odds and ends...

Friday, October 2, 2009

My Uncle got me started writing this stuff and now I think I'm enjoying it. As I read his blog and his two sisters and the hard times they went through as kids during the depression ,one thing I realized,,,There were 5 of them and was able to be happy and draw from each others strenght.

I was an only child and sometimes it got pretty lonely but it was easier for mom to take care of just the two of us as long as she did. We didn't have much but we didn't need much. With more mouths to feed she would have had more responsibilities. So it worked out for the best.When I was about 14 she went to work at a hospital in Cleveland on the night shift and again slept in the daytime. But I was in School so when I got home she would be up. Most of the time when I was home I'd run the neighborhood with my friends. A couple of houses up were the Taylors, Betty was about 4 years older then me but kind of let me hang out with her. Her family was nice and I liked it there. She had two brothers, David and Frank. David was my age. That was my second home. They had a dog that the neighbor kids use to tease and he got kind of mean. But since I was there all the time he knew me and I wasn't afraid of him. One day I was waiting outside while they ate dinner and was playing with him. I sat down in a chair and after a while stood up and he jumped up in my face and bite me on the lip. I must have stood on his tail or maybe rocked the chair on him but he got me. I saw stars. I staggered over to the back door and banged on the door and when they opened the door I had blood all over me. I went into the bathroom ( kind of in shock). and was looking at the ripped up lip when my mom walked in the bathroom I smiled at her and she passed out. So we jumped in their car and headed to the doctor. They kept saying they were gonna kill the dog and I started crying cause I didn't want them to do that and after everyone calmed down I got 12 stitches in my lip and the dog got to live. But after that I was scared of him and they always had to put him up when I came over.
The Taylors didn't know that they were an anchor at that time in my live. When things got too rough at home I'd go to their house.

Harry wasn't that bad a guy, he was just married to the wrong person. I know that's awful to say but mom didn't know how to be married or happy. she worried all the time. If there wasn't anything to worry about then she'd worry about that. Harry would go to work everyday and come home tired and instead of saying "Hi honey how was your day", mom would start in on him about something he didn't do or the bills or something. A person can only take so much so the fight would be on. That's when I'd head to the woods or to Taylors house for a while. Actually good ALWAYS comes out of . When I got married it helped me to see what NOT to do.
I loved my mom but we did come from a long line of bossy naggy women. What's even worse when I finally met my dad, the women on his side are strongwilled and independant so I really had a doubledose. Poor Vern. Haha Ok this is starting to sound like a soap opera so I'll go for now.
Have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home