Memories...

Just for Memories...reflections of the past...and maybe a little odds and ends...

Sunday, November 15, 2009

After our accident in Bakersfield, We rented a two bedroom house in Ceres Ca. I had quit school in New Orleans and decided to go back so I enrolled in the high school around the corner. all the other kids were in school except Carl. Mom took care of him and dad all day and the house and when I got home I pitched in. Dad was serverly hurt in that accident and had major headaches for years. It caused him to be violent at times and there were alot of things that he doesn't remember that we do. Sad thing is there wasn't much he could do to control his temper.

He had an old underwood typwriter that he would drag out if anyone did anything wrong and it might take an hour or so but he'd type the whole incedent out and who all was standing there. Then he'd ask each one by name if they did whatever. That person would say no. He'd type no. Needless to say that was worst then just getting a punishment cause you knew it was coming. that was in 1969 and he still has that typewriter and it still works, 2009. wow I'd like to see a computer that worked that well. haha.

Anyway down the street there were some people whose name was Tubbs. I was friends with Georgia and her brother, I kid you not, Bubba. and were just friends. Nothing else. we'd go for walks to get out of the house or I'd go down there. One day Georgia was sitting on the couch watching tv and her brother was cleaning his shotgun in the bedroom and it went off. Knocked her off of the couch. She went to the hospital with lots of buckshot in her arm and leg but was ok.
Her other brother came home from Viet Nam around Christmas and brought a friend. His name was Vern. I met him and wasn't that impressed. He and Georgia and me and Bubba went to the drive in. still not impressed.
A few weeks went by and he came to the house wanting to kow if I knew were her brother was . We had had a fight and weren't speaking. I told him no. So he asked me if I want'ed to go get a soda and I said sure. So we kind of started dating and he kept saying, "we're getting married one of these days." and I thought to myself,"yeah right". anyway three months later things were strained at home and I had never been on my own and was scared so when he said that I told him,"lets' go" and we did. That was 40 years ago last april. I won't say it has all been easy because I had a lot of growing up to do and no example of what a good wife was. I knew what not to do. But I was 19 going on 12.

The first year we were married we lived on Hamburger Helpers cause I had never learned to cook. Now Vern won't let them in the house. And I tell him" But honey there are so many new types out there. and he gives me that look. Today I can cook fairly well. nothing to brag about but he hasn't starved. Still my favorite is, give me hamburger meat and I can fix a million dishes.
I also didn't know how to do laundry. There was some stuff called Mrs Stewetts bluing that you used instead of bleach. I figured if a little did a good job , a littlle more would do better. OOPS! at least it was all a nice even blue and not tie dyed.
ok more later. have a great day GOD BLESS. Till we meet again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home