Memories...

Just for Memories...reflections of the past...and maybe a little odds and ends...

Monday, November 9, 2009

Morning! I just prove read my old blogs and found a bunch of spelling mistakes. let me explain. I am a good speller but not so great a typer. Sometimes my fingers try to keep up with my brain and then I get goofed-up. well you say try the prove read dork!! No I tried that once and after writing a big blog I hit the prove-read and it disappeared into happy blog heaven, never to be found again. So I publish it and then prove read. haha. I know that' s not the way to do it. maybe cause I am left handed, I do it backwards.

I will be bouncing back and forth on this "The Life Of Gail" as I remember things. so bare with me.

When we lived in Chesterland Ohio, I had a lot of friends on our street that we hung out together. Laura and her sister, Debbie Basel, Wendy, .The guys were Doug Cormack, David Taylor, Timmy and Tommy. David Kitchen .Most of the time we all got along great but one time I remember the guys decided to make an ice pond in the woods for skating, and they smoothed out a section and hauled water and worked on it and it froze. One day Debbie and I decided we would take our slede and play on the ice. We didn't know it would tear it up. but it did. and when the boys found it they came after us. They tore us up. not bad just enough to scare us. we never did it again.
On another occassion Deb and I were going down a small hill on the slede. she was laying on it and I was pushing and when I jumped on the back we hit gravel and came to an abrupt stop with her face on the gravel. ouch!

We had a rollar rink that we 'd go to on Saturday's. The owner loved kids and he and his wife had none. So he bought and old bus and had a different route on Saturday and Sunday. He'd pick us up and not charge anything for the gas. Then it was .75 to get in and .25 for skates. Every Saturday I'd try to go. Never got good at skating but it was fun. We lived on a horseshoe shaped road and you could look out the kitchen window and see the bus on the main road. That's when my step-dad would remind me that I had chores and did I do them or I couldn't go. So I'd run around like a crazy person trying to get them done. As an adult I could see he wasn't being mean but I had responsiblities. It's funny how when you become a parent you see things a lot different then when you were the kid.

We bought that house on Cherry Lane in 1960 for $ 17,500 on an acre of property. and eventually added a garage. I love that house and I loved the neighborhood. I went to West Geauga Jr High and I think that was the happiest I ever was in school. It was Back when girls couldn't wear pants to school and the skirts had to cover the knees. If there was snow we could wear them to school under ourr dresses and go into the bathroom to remove them before class. And then put them back on before getting onto the bus to go home. One thing we did everymorning was turn the radio on to see if it was a snow day. Boy we loved snow day.
This was when the girls were starting to wear the pointed toe shoes and Harry bought me black and white saddle oxfords. I hated those shoes and tried my best to tear them up so I could get some new ones. but try as I did I couldn't. I would use them to slide down the hill in front of our house. They just wouldn't wear out. Which says a lot for the type of shoe. My feet were froze when I went in but the shoes were in tact.

Harry bought a brand new Volkswagon and I never remember him putting chains on that car. The snow plow would come by early in the morning and he and I would have to go out to the end of the drive way and shovel the snow that had been put there by the plow.
He tried to teach me to drive that thing once and I was scared to death because it was stick shift and I couldn't seem to get it all right. One day we went up a hill and stopped at a stop-sign and it started rolling backwards and he was screaming at me and the more he screamed the worse I got. So when we stopped at the bottom of the hill I got out and walked home and that was the end of my driving lessons. To this day I can hardly drive a stick shift. I can still hear him yelling. ok this is long enough for today, see ya later I gotta go. Have a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home