Memories...

Just for Memories...reflections of the past...and maybe a little odds and ends...

Saturday, August 21, 2010

when I was little I was not allowed in the kitchen because I would get burned or in the way. So needless to say when I got married 41 years ago, I could barely boil ,water. That was the year they came out with "Hamburger Helper", which made me look good in the kitchen and fed us. Then the next year I graduated over to tuna helpers. Eventually Vern got tired of them and bought me a Betty Crocker cookbook. but the impatient person that I was, didn't want to take time to see how to put it togethher so I just took the ingredients and mixed them. sometimes they came out, but mostly they didn't. Vern showed me a few times how to make homemade bread. and it was good and smelled good but looked like too much work so I kept asking him to show me again and finally he said forget it.

When we moved to Nevada I had to learn to cook from scratch because we didn't have the money for fancy stuff. Once the girls and I made homemade eggnoodles and that was fun. we rolled them out as flat as we could get them and cut them and hung them all over the kitchen. Plue our neighbor showed me how to make wonderful sweet dinner rolls. So that was the beginning of my actual cooking experiences.
Since we've been on the ranch I've canned peaches , frozen corn, made bread and butter pickles, grape jelly and even tried my hand last summer at mild salsa. Oh yeah and I also make home made biscuts that aren't tooooo bad. so guess Vern isn't going to starve. By the way, I see in the store there are all kinds of new hamburger helpers but when I mention them to vern he just looks at me funny and I figure I better not. Beside, now that I can cook vern and I are overweight and there are alot of things we shouldn't have. go figure.?

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

I love your stories, Gailey Ann. Very entertaining and fun.

August 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home